Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Turning Lemons into Lemonade

Life and running alike are filled with highs and lows.  Two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with IT Band Syndrome in my right knee.  It was the result of months spent training for the Mercedes Half Marathon in Birmingham.  According to the doctor, there is very little that can be done to speed up the recovery process.  Understanding that I was currently training for a half marathon, the doctor informed me that the best way to recover from IT Band Syndrome is to avoid running and focus on cross training while the pain subsides.  As an avid runner that depends on the daily endorphins, this was not what I wanted to hear, but the pain was unbearable once I was about 15 minutes into my runs.  Upset and frustrated, I decided to stop training for the half marathon and seize the opportunity to focus on getting stronger and healthier by mixing up my workouts and eliminating running until my knee fully recovers.  After many long, cold hours of training this was a hard decision to make, but one that should prove beneficial in the long haul.   

To all the runners out there that are trying to grind it out and ignore the pain, I encourage you to step back, make the tough decision, recover, and rejuvinate your mind and body with fresh workouts.  View this as an opportunity as opposed to a setback.  The last two weeks have proven to be unpredictable and exciting.  I am swimming, rowing, and riding the stationary bike to maintain my cardio and using various total body circuit training workouts to build strength.  Also, I am currently practicing Yoga to help strengthen the the stabilizing muscles throughout my body and provide me with the endorphins that I crave from several years of running.  I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, even injuries.  I had fallen into a routine that lacked diversity, but this injury has provided me with a new vision of a healthful lifestyle.  I encourage everyone to enjoy life's highs and to view life's lows as an opportunity rather than a setback.  Enjoy the journey! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you are enjoying your new workouts! - and your discovery of the steam room. lol

    ReplyDelete