Friday, January 28, 2011

How I Incorporate the Treadmill Into My Training

I am in no way a personal trainer or a running coach, but I do have an opinion on how treadmills should be used to compliment your training.  Notice that I said compliment your training.  All too often, runners opt to run on the treadmill as opposed to walking out the front door and experiencing the joys of running outside.


Picture was found via google search at http://www.waggintailsdogtraining.com/RWing.htm

I use the treadmill for targeted speed workouts and as a tool to encourage negative splits.  Many times when I run outside, I unintentionally start out too fast and begin to fade as the run progresses.  Thus creating positive splits, which make it difficult to maintain my desired pace.  With the treadmill, I can force myself to start out at a reasonable pace and gradually improve that pace as the run progresses.  After just two months of occassional training sessions on the treadmill, I can already tell a difference in my ability to set and maintain an attainable pace on my various training runs.  The big question is will this carryover to race day, or will the adrenaline get the better of me?   

I avoid using the treadmill for my long runs.  In fact, I can't imagine running in place for more than an hour.  I love running, but that sounds miserable.  Plus, despite improved technology there is no way to truly replicate race conditions and various, changing terrains on a treadmill.  Hopefully this post will give you some ideas on how to better utilize your time on the treadmill, while at the same time encourage you to brave the elements and go for a "real" run.  How do you use the treadmill to compliment your training?  Do you prefer to run indoors on the treadmill or outside?  Why?  I look forward to hearing your answers.  Enjoy the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment