Friday, April 22, 2011

Shoe Review: Nike Free Run+

I first purchased a pair of  Nike's Free Run+ running shoes last November.  I have since worn them out training for my first Marathon (approximately 450 miles).  I wanted to wait until I ran these shoes into the ground before writing a review.  Below I have provided some pros, cons, and my final verdict:


Pros:  Plain and simple, these shoes are lightweight and comfortable (weighs approximately 8.8 oz.).  Prior to trying this shoe, I was unable to wear Nike's shoes because of the narrow shoe width, but the large toe box on these shoes is wonderful for runners with wide feet.  Also, the sole is very flexible due to the Nike Free sipes technology.  This shoe is great if you are looking to transition from a traditional running shoe to a "barefoot" running shoe.  I use the word transition, because contrary to what some believe this is not a true "barefoot" running shoe.  Nike's Free Run+ still has a 7 mm heel-to-toe drop in comparison to Merrell's "barefoot" shoes, which have a 0 mm heel-to-toe drop.  Also, this shoe is well designed to help you build your all important, yet under-trained stabilizing muscles.  Note:  You will feel this after your first few runs.

Cons:  As I said earlier, if you aren't prepared to work the stabilizing muscles in your legs (and feet) don't buy these shoes.  I understood this prior to buying the shoes, but I can understand how an unsuspecting, beginning runner may be surprised by this.  Also, please beware if you are the adventurous type.  These shoes are best for running on the pavement due to the Nike Free sipes technology, which allows rocks and debris to get caught on the bottom of your shoe.  This can get annoying very quickly if you are running on a dirt road.  

Final Verdict:  In my opinion, the pros (especially the comfort level) far outweigh the cons.  In fact, I just ordered a pair of Nike's new Free Run+ 2 for my upcoming Marathon and Summer training.  Some people recommend using these to compliment your everyday running shoes and help strengthen your stabilizing muscles, but I prefer to use these as my everyday running shoes.  To each his own.  Do you own a pair of Nike's Free Run+ running shoes?  If so, what do you think?      
  
My Nike Free Run+ Running Shoes!

Closeup of the Nike Free Sipes Technology

1 comment:

  1. i bought a pair of +free 2s today - went out for a run straight away. I love them already. i'll be using them as my main training and race shoes. So comfortable. A little on the small size on my regular shoe size. Ended up going up one size and they are perfect.

    ReplyDelete