Wednesday, May 4, 2011

8 Tips for First Time Marathoners

Last Saturday, I completed the Country Music Marathon in Nashville.  This was my first Marathon, and I can't wait to share some tips and words of wisdom about what to expect in your first Marathon.  I'm doing this, because if you are anything like me, you will be a nervous wreck for days and weeks leading up to the event.  Despite training and feeling 100% prepared your mind will be filled with questions and doubts.  Did I log enough quality miles?  How will my body respond to 26.2 miles?  How do I navigate the water/aid stations?  How will I ever find my starting corral?  What if I need to use the restroom on the course?  What should I wear?  All of these questions are normal, and I am here to provide you with some simple words of wisdom from my first Marathon.
  1. Trust Your Training- As your Marathon date approaches don't start to doubt your training.  Plain and simple, if you didn't log enough quality miles during your training it is too late to do anything about it now.  Looking back over your training log should provide you with confidence and a sense of accomplishment.  To paraphrase the announcer at the start line of the Country Music Marathon, "The hard part is over, now get out there and enjoy your victory lap!" 
  2. Take the Shuttle-  If your first Marathon is large enough to offer a shuttle to and from the race, please take advantage of this.  You don't want the added stress of finding parking the morning of the race.  Plus, you will not feel like driving once the race is over.  This is an easy, inexpensive way to reduce your stress level on race day.
  3. Follow the Crowd-  Race day is one of the few times it is good to follow the crowd.  As a newbie, watch for more experienced racers and follow their lead.  They will lead you to a good area for stretching/jogging prior to the start of the race, show you where the best bathrooms are located, make sure you find the proper starting corral, and lead you to refreshments following the race.  Also, don't be scared to ask these guys where to go or what to do.  You have to remember that they were once in your shoes.
  4. No New Clothes-  Don't go crazy at the race expo the day the before the race and buy a ton of new gear.  Well, I guess you can buy as much new gear as you want, just don't wear it the next day.  Go with what you know.  Always wear gear that you have tried out on a long training run, and yes this means no race shirts.
  5. Stay Hydrated-  The water stations are there for a reason.  I recommend adhering to your fueling plan, and don't be scared to walk or slowly jog through water stations.  Remember you want to drink the water not wear it.  Once again, I think it is very important to have a fueling plan for race day, and I would encourage you to stick with it if at all possible.  You may need to make adjustments, but don't let your nerves cause you to neglect your hydration and nutrition. 
  6. To Go or Not To Go-  This is a matter of personal need.  The larger the race, the more portable toilets you will see.  If you need to go during the race, it is important to understand that it very well may mess up your pace and kill your momentum, but if you have to go then you have to go.  I would definitely recommend finding a restroom or portable toilet prior to the start of the race, especially if you are nervous.
  7. Don't Fret the Unexpected-  Prepare for the unexpected.  You don't know how your body will respond to 26.2 miles until you run 26.2 miles.  Thus, you never know what may come up during your first Marathon.  For example, I cramped up at mile 18 and was forced to switch into survival mode just to finish the race.  Prior to mile 18, I felt great and was on pace to meet my time goals.  Did I plan on this happening?  No, but I adapted, took in a lot of fluids, replenished my electrolytes, and finished the race with a respectable time. 
  8. Soak It Up-  This is a once in a lifetime experience, so it is important to take it all in and enjoy your first Marathon.  Also, try to have a friend or family member take pictures of the event, so that you can look back and reflect on this accomplishment for years to come.  Plus, it is easier to brag if you have evidence.    
Understanding that I just ran my first Marathon, I hope that these words of wisdom may help you out a little bit.  Nothing too technical, but I must admit that your first Marathon will likely be far from technical.  My hope is that your first Marathon is a pleasurable experience that leaves you wanting more.  Below, I have posted some pictures from my first Marathon.  To those readers that have run a Marathon before, please comment on this post and leave your own words of wisdom.

 Crossing the Finish Line!

When's My Next Race?

No comments:

Post a Comment