Friday, June 10, 2011

Quick Tip: How to Avoid or Minimize the Effects of Poison Oak?

Yes, it is that time of year again.  Poison Oak and Poison Ivy are running rampant, but you can't let that prevent you from enjoying the great outdoors and/or completing your yard work.  As a longtime road runner, I have just started to venture onto the trails for an occasional long run.  Unfortunately, the trails are covered with layers of Poison Oak, making it nearly impossible to avoid.  Below are two quick tips that I use to prevent or at least minimize the effects of Poison Oak:
  1. Wear Long Socks and/or Gaiters-  Long socks are a must when trail running.  Not only do they help prevent rocks and sticks from driving you crazy, but they also provide an added layer of protection between your skin and the dreaded Poison Oak.  I don't wear gaiters, but to the best of my knowledge they are intended to provide further protection from debris and Poison Oak by covering and denying access to the inside of your shoe.  A picture is often worth a thousand words, so I would encourage you to check out the socks and gaiters at Running Warehouse.
  2. Wash Affected Areas Thoroughly with Dawn Dish Washing Soap-  Too late, you have already run through the Poison Oak covered trails.  Don't panic.  It may not be too late to prevent an itchy rash.  Rush home and wash the affected area with Dawn dish washing soap.  This may sound crazy to some, but I have found it to be very effective.  Just last weekend, I went on an unexpected trail run with short socks (not recommended), and I found myself unable to avoid the Poison Oak that was running rampant on the trails.  Certain I would be covered in a terrible rash by Monday, I took a hose and some Dawn dish washing soap to my legs as soon as I returned home.  So far, no itchy rash.  
Hopefully these quick tips will help you enjoy the trails and complete your yard work by minimizing the effects of Poison Oak.  Please comment if you have any additional tips on this subject, or if you have a funny story involving Poison Oak.  Also, if you wear gaiters, please let me know which brand you recommend.   

No comments:

Post a Comment