Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Furry Friend

Many people view and refer to dogs as pets.  I, on the other hand, know differently.  A good dog is a part of the family.  Scout is my 3 year old "mut" (I can't let her hear me call her that) that has filled my life with laughter, anger, happiness, and love.  All the emotions that go with loving and caring for someone greatly.  Knowing that much of this blog relates back to running, I'm sure that you are expecting me to tell you that she is a wonderful running partner.  Quite the contrary, she may be the worst running companion ever.  She has little, if any impulse control, meaning that the mere sight of a squirrel sends her into tirade.  Thus, I dread the idea of running with Scout, but I occasionally brave the inevitable and take her with me. Aside from her minor behavioral problems and lack of self control, Scout is a great life companion.  She snuggles, watches TV, steals pizza, hides bones (from who I'm not sure), and insists on giving everyone she meets "human" hugs.  Her loving personality and constant smile fills my house with joy.  Fortunately, Scout loves Katie, my fiance, just as much as me, if not more (Katie feeds her more "human" food).  I am excited about the years ahead and Scout's ever growing role as an integral part of our lives.  To anyone out there that is considering adding a furry friend to your household, just do it.  There will be times that you question the decision, but in the end you will be forever thankful that you added them to your family.  Please visit your local Humane Society or rescue group prior to purchasing a dog.  There are tons of homeless dogs waiting on a good family.  Scout was one of these dogs, and I can say from experience that you will not find a more loyal, loving dog, than a dog that was once forgotten.  They will be forever greatful for your kindness.  Enjoy the journey!

Me and Scout (I think she sees a squirrel in the distance)!


Me and My Family!

2 comments:

  1. I wish hubby would let me have a dog but we have six cats so I kind of see the point. But cats can't run with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly, thanks for the comment. I can see where he is coming from, but like you said cats aren't the best running partners. Good luck changing his mind! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete